Friday, July 18, 2008

Another Holocaust Story, but Different


Oh, man! I hate to put this library book down and here I am writing about it before I have even finished it. It is by Diane Ackerman and called "The Zookeeper's Wife", a war story. It takes place at the Warsaw Zoo during the Nazi occupation. Ackerman doesn't just tell a tale, she embelishes each event, each person, each place, with descriptive information that brings home all the ramifications of the unfolding drama. It is more than a story, it is a discussion of what it means to be alive for every living thing, including the earth. I like the way she weaves the science of many topics into the fabric of the story. There are some elements that make me want to revisit what I had previously known about some scientists, like Konrad Lorenz. I will read more of her writing and I will have to purchase my own copy of this book ... then I can lend it to you, but only if you remember to return it, have a cup of coffee, or glass of wine, and talk about it with me.

http://www.dianeackerman.com/work1.htm - the author's site

A critical review -http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/13/AR2007091301895.html

1 comment:

Judy said...

This was a book mentioned for our book club last night. You'll have to recommend it for October, then we really can talk with you about it. Our book discussion last night was Dark Star by Alan Furst. WWII spy stuff. Seems most of what I have been reading lately is WWII intrigue