Saturday, February 23, 2008

My First Library Card


Growing up at my house, books were as natural a household item as furniture. In fact my mother's example of settling in a chair was always accompanied with settling into a book. It was extremely fortunate to be part of a generation that began its early years without television. Books were entertainment of the richest order. My eyes were visually satisfied with the illustrations of children's books that brought to life the prose accompanying them. When I was old enough to have my first library card, I walked along the stacks in the large quiet neighborhood library until I was captivated by the pastel bindings of a small series. Serendipity had brought me to The Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder and illustrated by Garth Williams. No big box book store or television hype, just those pastel bindings and beautiful images. With my first library book checked out and in hand I hurried home to settle in. Nine weeks later after coming to the end of the series, I was hooked on books.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Great idea for a blog. I've been thinking about a "recent reads" list added to my blog; however, I'm not getting much read lately and a short list might be embarrasssing. My daughter has done this. She devourers books, often neglecting chores.